Sunday, 20 September 2026

Piglets poglets everywhere

Achaemenid cylinder seal with piglets, lots and lots of wild boar piglets...See the horizontal stripes...

Why piglets? 

Well, have you ever tried piglet roasted on a spit? Maybe the guy owned a barbecue place...

Or maybe...

Nooo! Not animal calendar markers again!!!

To understand what these little piglets could symbolise (not saying that they do, but could), we need to look at the climate in Iran. 

Climate in Iran is divided (roughly) into hot, dry half (Apr/May - Oct/Nov) and cool, wet part (Oct/Nov - Apr/May)...

Wild boar start mating at the beginning of the cool, wet half of the year, in Oct/Nov. 

The gestation period lasts 120 days. Which means that the piglets are born starting from  Mar/Apr...See, stripy...🙂

Guess what happens in Mar/Apr in Iran...The most important annual event, the annual snowmelt, which kick starts the annual flood starts...

So, lots of piglets = annual flood = fertile soil = fertility... 

I talked about this in my post "Zodiac from Isfahan".

In Isfahan zodiac the same period (Mar/Apr) is marked by a ram, Aries...

See, ram, Aries, flood...

Here is Aries, marking the same time period, and the same annual event, the beginning of the annual snowmelt which kickstarts the annual flood, in ancient Mesopotamia...I talk about this in my posts "Goatfish with ram's head"...


BTW, why is Ram marking Mar/Apr? Cause this is the time when lambing of wild (and domestic) sheep stops and milking starts...


I talk about this in many of my articles...

Anyway, I am not saying that the little piglets on that seal were used as animal calendar marker. But maybe they were. Have you seen my "Achaemenid lion boar seal" article?

Send fighter jets!!! It's an Iranian flying saucer!!! 

Achaemenid cylinder seal, 6th–4th c. BC, Iran. 

The depicted scene makes very little sense, unless you view everything on this seal as a calendar marker. Then it all makes a lot of sense...

So maybe all these piglets are animal calendar markers, or...


To read more about ancient animal and plant calendar markers, start here…Then check my twitter threads I still didn't convert to blog post...I am way way behind...


No comments:

Post a Comment