Today by pure fluke I came across this group of Celtic coins depicting on one side a boar and on the other side a horse. Together with pile of solar symbols. They were minted by Corieltauvi and Iceni tribes in Britain 1st c. BC and 1st c. AD...
A Corieltauvi one:
Why boar and horse and solar symbols?
Well, because boar and horse are two opposite animal calendar markers...
Boar is an animal calendar marker for the (beginning of) winter.
Horse is an animal calendar marker for the (beginning of) summer.
Another Corieltauvi one:
Boar is an animal calendar marker for for the (beginning of) winter, because wild boar mating season starts in Oct/Nov and ends in Jan/Feb, spanning the whole of winter...I talked about this in many of my posts...
Hers is an Iceni one:
Horse is an animal calendar marker for the (beginning of) summer because wild horses mating season starts in Apr/May and ends in Aug/Sep, spanning the whole of summer...I talked about this in many of my posts...
Another Iceni one:
Basically these coins depict this: Celtic (solar) year divided into dark and light half, demarcated by boar and horse. With Winter solstice falling within the boar mating season and summer solstice falling within the horse mating season...
Now look at these three Corieltauvi coins. Look at the horse's tail.
On this one it ends in a deciduous tree (most likely linden) leaf...
Symbol of summer...
Was that a mistletoe above the boar? Symbol of winer...
Look at this one. On it the horse's tail ends in grain...With a blazing sun right above it...
Another symbol of summer...
Another grain tail one...
I can't see any other reason why would these coins depict these two animals in this way, except to symbolically, with a summer and winter side of the coin, mark summer and winter half of the year...
For those interested in my other posts about Celts and Celtic culture go here...
To read more about ancient animal and plant calendar markers, start here…Then check my twitter threads I still didn't convert to blog post...I am way way behind...
No comments:
Post a Comment