Sunday 30 January 2022

Pegasus and Chimera

Pin head in form of a winged horse, ca. 8th–7th century B.C. Luristan, western Iran in the Zagros Mountains. Currently in the Met Museum...

Cool right? For so many reasons. 

First: How old is the oldest depiction of Pegasus in Europe?

Second: Please note sun symbol on the horses side. Did you know that horse mating season is governed by the sun and it peaks on summer solstice. 


I talked about this in my post "Unicorn"...

The link between horses reproductive cycle and the sun is why we see things like these: Bronze Age "Sun Chariot" pulled by a horse, Denmark 1400 BC...



And why Greek sun god rides in a chariots pulled by white horses...


And why when Ezekiel accuses the builders of the First Temple of being Sun worshippers, he says that they kept horse pulled chariot in the temple...I talked about this in my post "Sun god from the first temple"....

And why "Solar horse" is such a common motif on Celtic coins...

And why white horse is the sacred animal of the Slavic sun god Svetovid, and was kept in his temples...


I talked about this in my post "Svetovid"...

And so on and so forth...

BTW, I discovered this link between horses and sun while I was researching the reason why Eastern Mediterranean is why local Sea gods were so obsessed with horses...


It turns out the horse mating season overlaps with the sailing season in the region...I talked about this in my posts "Trojan horse"...

Anyway, here is a very interesting thing I discovered the other day:

the link between horse and sun can be seen from the fact that in some parts of Croatia people believed that dragon is "a winged horse"...

Eeeee, what?

To understand the importance of this belief, we need to understand that snakes are solar animals. They are in our world when sun is in our world (hot part of the year) and they are in the underworld when sun is in the underworld (cold part of the year)...I talked about this in my post "The chthonic animal"...

This makes them a perfect solar symbol...Symbol of the sun and the sun's heat...Slavs actually believed that snakes feed off the sun's heat...And that when snakes get old, they turn into dragons...

And dragons, old snakes, are symbol of the old sun, destructive summer sun which burns the land and causes drought. Steals and guards water...Which is why in Slavic mythology, dragon, always breathes fire...


There is actually a Serbian belief that "a snake got wings when it lived over 100 years, after which it flew away to live in lakes and waters"...Just like a Dragon...

This is in addition to the belief from Ukraine and Poland that snakes once had wings and flew in the sky. But the sun burned their wings and they fell on the ground....

I talked about snakes and dragons in my post "Letnitsa treasure" (and many others)...

And now we see that Serbs also saw a dragon, solar symbol, as a winged horse...

This link between dragons and winged horses doesn't end here...

Slavs also believed that when a hero kills a dragon by cutting his head(s) off (the only way to kill a dragon by the way), "rivers (of fertility) flow from each of dragon's necks"...

Did you know that, "according to legend, everywhere the winged horse Pegasus struck his hoof to the earth, a water spring burst forth...Without proper explanation...Very very interesting...

Pegasus which allowed Bellerophon to ride him in order to defeat the monstrous Chimera...



Is that The Chimera, whom Homer, in his Iliad, depicts like: "a thing of immortal make, not human, lion front and snake behind, a goat in the middle, snorting out breath of terrible flame, of bright fire". 

But was Chimera a monster or a complex solar symbol? I asked this question in my post "Chimera" and I explained why I thought so...But I now think that, even though I was on the right track in interpreting Chimera as a complex solar symbol, I originally misinterpreted part of its meaning. Because at the time when I wrote the original article about Chimera I was still not aware of the Animal Calendar markers...

I correctly interpreted the meaning of 

The snake (Apr/May, beginning of summer, because this is when the most common snake species in Eurasia start to mate)



The lion (Jul/Aug, beginning of autumn, because this is when the Eurasian lions main mating season starts)

Well, I know this now...At that time I was just guessing...All I knew at that time was the mating season of Ibex goats...Which in the Alps does peak around winter solstice...I cared too much about solstices at that time, which lead me astray...

So I misinterpreted the meaning of the goat head in Chimera as the symbol of the winter solstice...I was wrong...

Cause what I didn't know then was the link between Ibex goats, their mating season and the beginning of the rain season in Eastern Mediterranean, Levant, Middle East, Central Asia, Iran...I didn't know about the Goat of Rain...

You can read more about this in my posts "Dancing goat men from Luristan", "Green pastures" and "Pan, goat of rain"...and many others...

And in this climatic area where we find roots of all the Greek myths, the mating season of Ibex goats starts in Oct/Nov, the beginning of winter...

Now in the past, people in that part of the world divided the solar year into two seasons:

1. Winter, cool, wet, season of life (Nov-Apr)

2. Summer, hot, dry, season of death (May-Oct)

Summer in Mesopotamia was dominated by Utu/Shamahs, the sun god...The Dragon...Seven headed dragon to be more precise...With seven snake heads...One for each hot month of the summer...And lion's body...

I talked about this in my post "Seven headed dragon", "Winged superhuman hero", "Ninshubur"...

Sounds familiar??? Snake, solar animal, the symbol of the sun, sun's heat...Lion, solar animal, the symbol of the destructive sun, sun's heat...We find the same symbolism in Bactria...You can read more about this in my post "Winged superhuman hero dominating snakes"...



Amazing...It points us towards the fact that lion-snake composite animal is actually dragon, symbol of the hot dry half of the year...

But what about the goat? To understand where goat fits into all this, we need to plot the beginnings of the mating seasons of snake, lion and goat on the climatic solar year in Eastern Mediterranean, Levant, Mesopotamia, Central Asia, Iran...


This is what I wasn't aware of when I wrote my article about Chimera...The tree animals that it consists of mark the beginning, the middle and the end of the "old" summer, the hot, dry part of the year dominated by the sun...The season of death...

The season of the Dragon...I think Chimera makes a lot more sense now...Particularly that it "snorts out the breath of the terrible flame of bright fire"...Just like a dragon...

And the guy who kills this terrible beast rides on a winged horse...A symbol of the sun and another Dragon...Funny...Just like St George (Old Sun God Jarilo, the Scorcher) kills the Dragon (Symbol of sun's fire) while riding on a white horse (Solar animal and symbol of summer)...

Ok...That's it for tonight. If you want to know more about ancient animal and plant calendar markers, start here then check the rest of the blog posts I still didn't add to this page, and finally to to @serbiaireland and check my twitter threads I still didn't convert to blog post...I am 9 months behind now...

No comments:

Post a Comment