Tuesday 22 August 2023

Sabi Abyad venus

A figurine from the Late Neolithic and Early Halaf Village at Sabi Abyad, Northern Syria, part of Fertile Crescent. dated to 7th mill BC...Depicting Mother Earth turning into Mother of Grain...From "A Late Neolithic and Early Halaf Village at Sabi Abyad, Northern Syria". 

On the front you see what you would expect to see on any female fertility (Mother Earth) figurine: Large vulva and large breasts...


What is depicted on the sides and the back of the legs is what transforms this Mother Earth into Mother of Grain figurine: ears of grain...

How do we know this is grain?

Remember my post about the Mother of Grain?

Aliabad women standing beside a grain bin, Iranian Kurdistan...From "Home is where we keep our food: The origins of agriculture and Late Pre-Pottery Neolithic food storage". Very important image, as it confirms that this design pattern, found on pottery and figurines since the Earliest Neolithic all over Eurasia, means "grain"... 


I first talked about this in my post "Scarlet ware harvest vase"...


I then talked about this symbol in my post "Mother of grain"...


And in "Altyn tepe mother of grain"...


And in my post "Arjoune venus"...


And here they all are (so far):


We find the same symbolism on figurines found from the Balkans to Iran. They use similar combination of vulva + grain to depict the same thing: Mother Earth turning into Mother of 

BTW, have you ever heard of the Grain spirit? That "lives in the corn dolly made from the last sheaf of grain"?

I talked about it in my post about it in my post "The old woman of the mill dust

In Gaelic, the word Cailleach means both an old woman and the last sheaf of wheat and the corn dolly made from it. Corn dolly which represents Mother Earth, the life (grain) giving mother...



Who is this "Grain spirit"? Well the mother of grain of course. The mother earth...The mother of all of us (and grain)...The Proto Mother...The ancestor...

I also talked about this in my post "Diduch", the representation of an ancestor "who gives us wheat"...

And my post "Wheat cross"...About living corn dollies from Eastern Europe...

The wheat wreath was the most important part of the Romanian end of harvest ceremonies. It was made from the last sheaf of wheat...

It was normally then used to "crown" the "most beautiful unmarried girl" that participated in the harvest, who then carried it back to the village on her head...Love these pics of the reenactment of this ceremony by Vasile Sarb



Interesting, right?

To read more about ancient animal and plant calendar markers, start here…then check the rest of the blog posts related to animal calendar markers I still didn't add to this page, and finally check my twitter threads I still didn't convert to blog post...I am 9 months behind now...

No comments:

Post a Comment