Saturday 1 October 2022

Freya and her cats

According to the legend, Norse goddess Freya travels in the heavens in the chariot pulled by two giant, blue cats. These cats are the children of the magic Cat Bayun that have been presented to Freya by Thor the Thunderer...

There is a goddess found all over Eurasia and North Africa, who stands, sits, rides on lions, rides on chariots pulled by lions, stands, sits between lions, is lion headed... I talked about this in my post "Assumption of Mary"...

The lion here is animal calendar marker Leo, which marks the beginning of the mating season of the Eurasian lions...I talked about this in many of my posts, for instance "Angra Mainyu"...


What does this have to do with Freyja? Writer Johan Alfred Göth recalled a Sunday in 1880 where men were walking in fields and looking at nearly ripened rye, where Måns in Karryd said: "Now Freyja is out watching if the rye is ripe"...

Rye is typically ready for harvest in late July or early August...In Leo...The time of the year ruled by the goddess who stands, sits, rides on lions, rides on chariots pulled by lions, stands, sits between lions, is lion headed...Or rides in a chariot pulled by magic cats...

Oh, and just in case you are wondering what that goddess actually is, Sirius used to rise in the morning with the sun in Leo (Jul/Aug)...Technically it still shines with the sun in lion, as lion is the animal symbol for autumn (Aug/Sep/Oct)...I talked about this in my post "Symbols of the seasons"...

To read more about ancient animal and plant calendar markers, start here…then check the rest of the blog posts related to animal calendar markers I still didn't add to this page, and finally check my twitter threads I still didn't convert to blog post...I am 9 months behind now...

No comments:

Post a Comment