Wow...Mortars and pestles from an Early Natufian settlement Wadi Hammeh in Pella, Jordan, dated to about 14,500 to 14,000 BP...These are amazing...
Oh and look at this! Look at this! A scratched depiction of a field with grain growing out of the furrows...From the same site...
Pic from "The Natural Inspiration for Natufian Art: Cases from Wadi Hammeh 27, Jordan"...
How do we know it's grain?
I talked about this symbol in my posts about the "Mother of Grain"...
The symbol is also found in PPN Anatolian sites. This is a Tell Qaramel shaft-straightener depicting on the left two pair of snakes meeting (usual symbolic depiction of mating), while on the right we see ear of grain growing out of the snake mouth...Grain harvest in Central Anatolia starts in Apr/May, when vipers start to mate...I talked about this in my post "PPN snake calendar marker"...
These are first farmers we are talking about, and they are already using symbol for grain...
They also made stone depictions of grain seeds...I know they are shaft straighteners but they are not just shaft straighteners.
BTW, Just remembered that I talked about this site already in my original post about the Mother of Grain...
The same type of objects, just made from clay, were found deposited in a sacrificial pit in the 7th mill BC early grain farming Starčevo culture Blagotin settlement in Serbia...
No comments:
Post a Comment