Monday 8 April 2024

Beautiful boy

Just learned about Nefertem, the Egyptian Beautiful Boy, originally a lotus flower at the creation of the world, who had arisen from the primal waters.

Nefertem emerging from the lotus (blue water lily) blossom, from the tomb of Tutankhamun. Pic: Margarete Büsing...

Now, blue water lily flowering season, Jul,Aug,Sep, is the same season when the Nile water level reaches its peak. During the annual Nile flood...

So I wonder if "lotus flower at the creation of the world, who had arisen from the primal waters" just means: "lotus flower who arrises from the waters of the Annual Nile Flood"...

The Annual Nile flood is after all what originally created Egypt and "The Egyptian World"...Without the annual Nile flood there would be no Egypt...

I talked about Blue Lotus in my posts "Flower of life" and "Lotus and papyrus"...

The time of the Annual Nile Flood is also the hottest time of the year in Egypt...Hence Nefertem's epithet "Water-Lily of the Sun"...

Aug, Leo, is also the time of Lionesses of the Eye of Ra, like Sekhmet...I talked about this in my posts "Holy cow" and "Baboon"...


So I wonder if Nefertem has anything to do with this old post of mine "Golden boy" about this inlaid ivory panel depicting "lioness devouring a boy"...From the palace of Ashurnasirpal II, ca 899-700 BC. Currently in the British Museum.


Who is the golden boy depicted here? And who is the lioness?

To read more about ancient animal and plant calendar markers, start here…then check the rest of the blog posts related to animal calendar markers I still didn't add to this page, and finally check my twitter threads I still didn't convert to blog post...I am 9 months behind now...

No comments:

Post a Comment