Monday 27 December 2021

White tailed eagle from Witaszkowo

Gold plaque depicting an eagle eating a fish...From "Livius.org"...


The plaque is (apparently) part of the Witaszkowo (Vettersfelde) Treasure, a sensational Scythian hoard of gold objects found in Northern Poland, with seriously cool animal calendar markers decorations...

 



I wrote about the main objects from the hoard, which are also full of eagles and fishes, in my post "Vettersfelde Treasure"...

The official description of the above plaque is Eagle attacking a sturgeon...And sturgeons live in Black and Azov sea and the rivers that empty into these two seas...

I talked about sturgeons in my post about "Mesolithic sturgeon fishermen from Danube"...

I am not sure if the fish on the original plaque is a sturgeon...

But as for the eagle, there is not doubt. This is a white tailed eagle, which  during the summer feeds almost exclusively on fish...

This eagle is often depicted on the coins of later Greek Pontic kingdoms eating fish...and dolphins...



I talked about these amazing coins in my post "Eagle eating dolphin"...

Anyway, the fact that the Witaszkowo (Vettersfelde) Treasure is full of fish and eagles used as calendar markers, is the reasons why I originally proposed that this treasure originated somewhere in the Black-Azov sea area, most likely in one of the settled fishermen communities along the coast...

No comments:

Post a Comment